Guides, documentations, blogs, and other learning material for Kubernetes.
Kubernetes is a powerful tool that allows you to orchestrate, manage, and handle containers at scale, successfully. The learning curve can be steep and the terminology can be a lot to learn. Below you’ll find a comprehensive, curated list of learning material that can be used to help you get started.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Kubernetes – A comprehensive introduction to Kubernetes architecture
- The Illustrated Children’s Guide to Kubernetes – Graphical explanations of Kubernetes
- Kubernetes The Hard Way – Kubernetes The Hard Way guides you through bootstrapping a highly available Kubernetes cluster with end-to-end encryption between components and RBAC authentication.
- Understanding the Kubernetes YAML Syntax – Kubernetes configurations are written in YAML format. This guide teaches you the syntax, what to include, and an overall basic understanding of Kubernetes configurations.
- Troubleshooting Kubernetes deployments – A flow chart to troubleshoot a kubernetes deployment in case of issues.
- A Guide to the Kubernetes Networking Model – A in-depth run-through of Kubernetes networking
- Writing Your First Kubernetes Operator – Learn how to build and deploy your first Kubernetes Operator using the Operator SDK.
- Configuring HA Kubernetes cluster on bare metal servers with kubeadm – A guide to standing up a HA Kubernetes cluster on bare metal servers using kubeadm.
- Introduction to Using Google Kubernetes Engine; Explain Like I’m Five! – Learn how to create your first managed Kubernetes cluster on Google Kubernetes Engine using Terraform.
- Learn Kubernetes Basics – This tutorial provides a walk through of the basics of the Kubernetes cluster orchestration system.A Beginner’s Guide to Kubernetes – A comprehensive introduction to Kubernetes architecture
- Amazon EKS Best Practices Guide for Security – This guide provides advice about protecting information, systems, and assets that are reliant on EKS while delivering business value through risk assessments and mitigation strategies.
- Amazon EKS Node Drainer – A guide to cordon and evict all “evictable” pods from an EC2 node being terminated.
- Kubernetes Working Group for Multi-Tenancy – This is a working place for multi-tenancy related proposals and prototypes.
- Production grade Kubernetes Monitoring using Prometheus – A in-depth guide to deploy Prometheus monitoring solution.
Blogs, Videos, and Stories!
I would highly recommend reading and watching all the links down below. If you are short for time then make the 10 most common mistakes using Kubernetes and Kubernetes at Reddit a high priority!
- 10 most common mistakes using Kubernetes [HIGHLY RECOMMEND] – This is a great list that dives into the common mistakes of using Kubernetes.
- Scaling Kubernetes to 2,500 Nodes – Are you scaling your Kubernetes clusters to hundreds of nodes and beyond? Read this article by OpenAI on how they tackled scaling their K8s cluster.
- Kubernetes at Reddit: Tales from Production – Reddit uses Kubernetes. This YouTube videos shares their experience with handling Kubernetes and more within their organization.
- Life of a Packet – Networking in Kubernetes. A YouTube video by Michael Rubin at Google.
- How the Department of Defense Moved to Kubernetes and Istio
Learnings and Documentations
- Kubernetes API Reference Docs – A must have bookmark for those starting to learn Kubernetes.
- kubectl Cheat Sheet – Check out our guide to kubectl and Kubernetes!
- Katacoda – This is a Kubernetes playground, a safe place designed for experimenting, exploring and learning Kubernetes.
- Play with Kubernetes – Play with Kubernetes is a playground which allows users to run K8s clusters in a matter of seconds.
- Configuring Redis using a ConfigMap – A walkthrough that provides a real world example of how to configure Redis using a ConfigMap
- Exposing an External IP Address to Access an Application in a Cluster – This guide shows how to create a Kubernetes Service object that exposes an external IP address.
- Example: Deploying PHP Guestbook application with Redis – This tutorial shows you how to build and deploy a simple, multi-tier web application using Kubernetes and Docker.
- StatefulSet Basics – This tutorial provides an introduction to managing applications with StatefulSets.
- Example: Deploying WordPress and MySQL with Persistent Volumes – This tutorial shows you how to deploy a WordPress site and a MySQL database using Minikube.
- Example: Deploying Cassandra with a StatefulSet – This tutorial shows you how to run Apache Cassandra on Kubernetes. Cassandra, a database, needs persistent storage to provide data durability.
- Running ZooKeeper, A Distributed System Coordinator – This tutorial demonstrates running Apache Zookeeper on Kubernetes using StatefulSets, PodDisruptionBudgets, and PodAntiAffinity.
- Set Up a CI/CD Pipeline with Kubernetes – A end-to-end guide to set up a CI/CD Pipeline with Kubernetes.
- How to pass the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) exam on the first attempt – A guide to pass CKA exam
- Ready-to-use commands and tips for kubectl
- Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist – CKSS – This repository is a collection of resources to prepare for the Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKSS) exam.
- [PAID] Learn DevOps: The Complete Kubernetes Course on Udemy – This is a personal favorite of mine and I learned a lot from following Edward’s course. I highly recommend this for anyone who is just starting in Kubernetes.
I’ll be updating this list as I come across new material, articles, and videos. If you have any recommendations please list them in the comment section or tweet me, @AARONGXA.
Also, if you wanna support me feel free to…